The thoughts of Chris Gurton on motorsport, his photography, his work and his life in general. The thoughts, views and opinion's expressed in this blog are those of Chris Gurton and not necessarily those of any publication that he contributes to.

What is this Car?

I’ve decided to write a quick blog as I am really in need of some help. Well, information to be more precise. A friend of mine, Graeme Cameron, took a photo of this car, pictured, in the back of a lorry at Snetterton. Now it is obvious it is some type of Group C sports car, but what we’d like to know is exactly what make and model it is.

Mystery car in a lorry at Snetterton.

It has been bugging me for ages and thoughts of Aston Martins AMR1 and Mazda’s 787b have proved fruitless as there always seems to be something not quite right. Whether it is a wing mirror, the front splitter, headlights, position of tow ring etc there is always something that has differed slightly from anything we have thought of. Also, I might be wrong but if this is a genuine Group C car and not some replica or kit car, then I think the livery is not original.

So I turn to you. Does anyone know what this car is or knows any information about it? If you do, please get in touch and let me know. Then hopefully I can sleep a bit better at night as this is driving me mad trying to work it out. Having said that, It is probably something glaringly obvious. Either way, if you know anything, please come forward! And if you have photographic evidence to back up your claim, all the better.

*No cash reward or other alternative available.

Advertisements

6 responses

1. Funnily enough, another friend of mine (David Stephens) messaged me direct today and asked me the same question. Whilst I can’t conclusively say what it is, I did note that the cockpit area looks suspiciously Porsche 956/962like. Perhaps with a custom nose? Would love to know the answer myself!

January 24, 2012 at 6:20 pm

2. Looking at the headlight configuration and high arches, it looks very similar to the Porsche 956 or 917

January 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm

3. Hi

Thought I recognised it – saw it at a trackday at Brands last year where my son Jody was testing and wondered what it was being a long time Le Mans attendee. Had a look over it but no sign of a badge anywhere. I have done some online detective work and found this link from that day. From memory it had a stock block V8 sounding engine. Here is a link to more pics:

Hope this helps – I’d love to know what it is as well!

January 24, 2012 at 7:16 pm

4. rburton

It’s been on a few RMA trackdays but I don’t know what it is. Try the 360 MC as they were throwing the event at Snetterton for as many Gulf painted cars as poss. I have to stop chasing this now. I used to have a life…..

January 24, 2012 at 10:51 pm

5. Olly

I’m led to believe its a Prosport LM3000.

Made back in the mid 90’s in the UK, they originally had Ford V6 Granada engines.

This one has been modified/updated and is often used for passenger rides at RMA track days.

It is the same as the blue car in the Fresh Orange link above, but with some updated bodywork. The Gulf livery is just for show.

January 25, 2012 at 10:42 am

6. Paul Spencer

Hi everyone,
    I can solve the mystery for you as I own the car. It’s a unique car built in 2000 using Schuppan 962 bodywork and a bespoke chassis designed specially for it. Well done those of you who mentioned 965/962. It’s powered by a Nascar spec short stroke Chevy engine producing 670bhp and uses a Hewland 6 speed sequential. It had never really been used before I bought it 2 years ago and we’ve had to make a lot of changes to the suspension to make it track worthy. It’s coming together now and should end up as a really quick car. It’s as fast as the Group C cars from the 1980s and a bit of a monster to drive.I’m happy to go into more detail if anyone’s interested. I’ll take the car to a few RMA track days this year and may race it if I can find any suitable races to enter.

January 25, 2012 at 11:27 am