The thoughts of Chris Gurton on motorsport, his photography, his work and his life in general. The thoughts, views and opinion's expressed in this blog are those of Chris Gurton and not necessarily those of any publication that he contributes to.

Enough Is Enough

After my last blog post about Jason Plato and his disgraceful attitude and behaviour after the Knockhill round of the British Touring Car Championships, it seems that he just doesn’t know when to stop.

Despite writing an apology on twitter last week it seems it was totally meaningless as his column for The Sun newspaper shows. If you haven’t seen it, you can read it here. Yet again he takes the opportunity to have a go at Tom Boardman. Although using less offensive language, he still makes Tom look like a dreadful driver. He also makes out he was hit really hard and deliberately shoved into the barrier. As stated last week, contact was only slight and I have no doubt that there was no malice intended. Plato seems to forget the numerous times he has forced competitors off and then told the media that it was only a ‘Racing Incident’.

Plato also contradicts himself, by stating that the Turbo powered cars are 7mph faster than the normally aspirated ones yet complains that Boardman told the media he was faster than Jason. But what really annoys me is that Plato says tongue in cheek that Boardman’s statements to the media were ‘Real Class’. Come on, is Plato being serious here? Can someone please explain to him what a hypocrite is? You only need to read his nonsensical column to see what a total joke that statement is. Jason Plato wouldn’t know what ‘Real Class’ was if it roared up behind him and smashed his car into a barrier. Has Boardman criticised others? Has Boardman resorted to name calling on social media?  Has Boardman moaned and complained bitterly about the pace of rival cars all season in the public spotlight? No.  I just hope the readers of The Sun who aren’t fans of the BTCC don’t believe this garbage that’s been written.

Plato should let his driving do the talking.

It’s about time Plato just let it go. It’s also about time his team got him a good PR representative. If he already has one then I suggest they get the boot. I’m getting bored, frustrated and annoyed with all this now and he is making himself out to look like an idiot. However, rather cleverly, he has written off his title chances. We all know that with nine races left this season there are still a lot of points up for grabs. All it takes is for a front runner to have a dreadful weekend, as demonstrated by Matt Jackson last time out, and Plato can haul himself right back into the battle. He knows this too, but by saying he can’t win takes the pressure off him. If he doesn’t take the title at the end of the season he can turn round and say it wasn’t his fault and no doubt blame a certain driver. But if he were to win the championship, then he has given himself the opportunity to blow his own trumpet and tell whoever will listen how great he is by winning when he had no chance.

I’d like to think the Silverline Chevrolet driver will now keep his head down and concentrate on battling fairly for points rather than blurting out the guff he has of late but I doubt it. I know he is capable of getting back into the championship battle and would rather he put all his effort into his racing than taking as many opportunities to have a go at someone or moan about something as possible. I know that the turbo powered cars are faster than the normally aspirated ones, but the teams and drivers that run a turbo car are all abiding by the rules. They are doing nothing wrong so personal attacks are totally unacceptable. I only hope that there are no silly ‘revenge’ manoeuvres in the remaining events and the racing talks for itself.

Advertisements

8 responses

1. Well put Chris

September 12, 2011 at 7:47 pm

2. Terrence Hampton-Smith

Never before have I seen such a display of a lack of understanding, intelligence and knowledge of motorsport from a ‘so-called’ journlist in one post such as this.

Since it is basically clear that you are someone who just hates Jason Plato, the content of your article could already be considered to be biased, but you go beyond that to demonstrate that you in fact don’t even understand what Plato’s said.

Regardless of whether anyone agrees with him or not, how you’ve interpreted Jason Plato’s words just show how little you understand motorsport or indeed Jason Plato’s mentality.

It’s quite obvious, and if it wasn’t then it certainly is after Plato’s article in the Sun, that he wasn’t apologising to Boardman because he now accepts he was right. He was just apologising for calling him a Pikey.

In Plato’s article, he doesn’t contradict himself at all. Yes, he says that Boardman’s car was 7mph faster than him in the straights, but when Boardman says in the post race interview that he was ‘faster’ than Plato, this is what Plato laughs at. I think anyone with any knowledge of the BTCC would agree that Jason Plato is FASTER than Tom Boardman. He’s just not faster when combined with his normally aspirated Chevrolet Cruze and the turbocharged SEAT that Tom happens to drive.

Has Boardman resorted to whining on Social Media? No…why is that….well it’s quite clear he doesn’t even use it anyway, his last tweet was months ago, so again, another pointless statement.

Has Boardman complained all season long about the pace of rival car all season in the public spotlight. No. Why is that? Because he’s not IN the public spotlight. He along with most drivers on the grid have complained about someone or some team all year however, it’s just Plato and Neal are always to go to guys for the TV because they’re the names of the championship.

Anyway, hopefully you’ll stick to photography and keep your ridiculous, poorly thoughtout opinions to yourself and quit ‘journalism’ immediately before you embarrass yourself further.

September 13, 2011 at 9:35 am

• A little harsh, I feel. As the blog says ‘the thoughts of Chris Gurton…’ – this post is his opinion and he is entitled to it. Just because you have a different opinion does that mean you can insult him?

September 13, 2011 at 10:22 am

• Terrence, Thank you for reading my blog and taking the time to reply.

As stated on my blog, these are my own personal views. I dont expect everyone to agree with those views and/or opinions as everyone is different and have various viewpoints on all manner of subjects. It is reason behind all discussions and debates which I of course welcome. However, I do not beleive it is fair for someone to resort to personal attacks on someone because their views differ to your own. It is only fair to respect those views in the same way as I respect yours.

At no point have I claimed to be a journalist. I do however write for a couple of publications and websites, but the reason I have a personal blog, such as this, is to write about my own personal thoughts and views and not necessarily those of the publications I write for.

I dont hate Jason Plato as you claim, in fact I have been more than complimentary of his ability behind the wheel on a number of occasions. I do however disapprove of some of his behaviour out of the car. Especially his continued public attacks on a fellow racing driver. I firmly beleive that he should remain totally proffesional and set an example to others, particularly as a BRDC representative.

I am sorry you dont like my writing style, but as with a number of things, it is down to personal taste and something I take no offence to. That said, I am glad you like my photography.

Kind Regards
      Chris Gurton.

September 13, 2011 at 3:50 pm

3. Richard

Excellent read as usual Chris. Shame that you received such a harsh comment, however most people don’t understand the difference between journalism and opinion. The beauty of a personal blog is the freedom to express your opinions that you cannot publish on TCF or Crazy in my case where professionalism is number 1.

I would say that Terrance is one of many Plato fans who think the sun shines out of his rear whatever he may do. I consider it the Schumacher effect, it blinds people to what is really going on. Sort it out on track i say.

September 13, 2011 at 11:28 am

4. Claire Taylor

Erm hang on a moment – Chris is more than entitled to an opinion especially when a certain driver is bringing the series into disrepute- because believe it or not that is what Plato is doing. He is name calling and showing a complete lack of respect for his fellow drivers & in a public domain surely that is unacceptable? I am not a fan of Plato – some of his antics over the years have been less than professional and yes other drivers have made the same moves/ poor judgments but in the majority of cases they hold their hands up and admit they make a mistake – when has JP ever done that? Fair enough Jason was angry with Tom but to apologise for the name calling but then call him an “idiot” is quite frankly rather pathetic. He should learn to grow up or shut up – but thats just my opinion.

September 13, 2011 at 12:17 pm

5. Tanya

Jason Plato needs to put up, shut up or leave the BTCC as his constant moaning about the turbo cars is getting boring and ruining ny enjoyment of the fast pace sport. He seems to forget he was driving a turbo car several years ago but noone complained about it. Yet this year that is all he has done, a bad workman will always complain about his tools, so please shut up for the sake of a great sport. Have you noticed he never complains when he is wining so he is a bad sportman which this sport can do without.

October 25, 2011 at 4:46 pm

6. Tanya

Jason Plato needs to put up, shut up or leave the BTCC as his constant moaning about the turbo cars is getting boring and ruining my enjoyment of the fast pace sport. He seems to forget he was driving a turbo car several years ago but noone complained about it. Yet this year that is all he has done, a bad workman will always complain about his tools, so please shut up for the sake of a great sport. Have you noticed he never complains when he is wining so he is a bad sportman which this sport can do without.

October 25, 2011 at 4:49 pm